Acrylic on canvas 36" X 48"
The painting looks west down Campbell Avenue in The Santa Clara
Valley circa 1952, when Campbell officially became incorporated. A sign reading
"The Golden Rule" can still be seen on the old J. C. Penney's building. The
Campbell Theater is now The Gaslight theater, well known for live plays with
food and wine served. According to a historical plaque at the end of town, the
black Walnut trees located in the painting's foreground were planted around
1885 by William A. Swope, Benjamin Campbell's son-in-law.